different thinking on exchanging traffic

Dax Kelson dkelson at inconnect.com
Wed Jun 3 09:09:23 UTC 1998

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Randy Bush wrote:

> > Currently about 5%-15% of my traffic gets routed over the UtahREP.
>
> please describe measurement technique.
>
> randy

You are up late. :)

Well, before my UtahREP connection, 100% of my traffic went over my
transit links.

Now about 5-15% of my total traffic (show int X) goes over my UtahREP
connection.

Today there are only 13 participants on the UtahREP, although there are
about 40 ISPs in Utah (although probably 30 of them have less than 1,000
customers).  All 40 would have to be connected to the UtahREP to know for
sure exactly how much of my IP traffic is "local" (local being defined as
within the state of Utah).

Now when US West joins, the definition of "local" will change since their
coverage includes 14 states.

Dax Kelson
Internet Connect, Inc.