Beyond DNS...

Francois Beauregard FBorg at fbli.com
Mon Jun 1 15:34:34 UTC 1998

Rishaw[SMTP:jamie at dilbert.ais.net]
><snip>
>@
>@	Even *fewer* people understand how dns works, nor can configure
>@it properly.  This is easy to tell, log lame delegations on your
>@nameserver.  Or log the "invalid" hostnames stuff, folks with _/, etc..
>@in their dns entries.
>@
>
>The DNS could be used for much more than it currently is configured
>to handle. It is only a matter of time before people become better
>educated about the general purpose nature of the system. Some
>people think that A records can only contain 32 bit IP addresses
>when in fact they are generic containers for objects of class, Integer.

Nope... A records are IP (V4) only...  So are AAAA (IP V6)...

What you are referring to is the multitude of records existing currently
under DNS...  Like the TXT (generic text), the RP (Responsible person), etc...

There is approximately 30 different records existing, there is even about
half a dozen "mail routing" records that I've never seen used anywhere (how
sad :-)

Sincerely

Francois Beauregard
FBorg at fbli.com