The Great Exchange

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Tue Jun 2 14:11:34 UTC 1998

At 12:42 PM 6/2/98 +0200, Julian Rose wrote:
>Some crystal ball gazing...

Those who peer too much, into crystal balls, often eat glass <grin>.

>I expect to see an amount of distance billing in the future, but only
>alongside QoS billing, for example.
>
>Email - Non urgent, low traffic - I would expect this to remain flat rate
>(i.e. Free with connection).  As with browsing traffic etc.  Caches will
>add an intersting factor to this model, e.g Retrieving files from the ISP's
>local cache - (Free with connection), Retrieving from distant locations,
>perhaps dependant on time of day etc.

Why would there be a difference? On one hand, ISP disk capacity is used and
OTOH ISP band-width is used. These days, about the same cost. Besides, it's
second-order effect anyway and the market won't stand-still for it.

>Voice over IP - This is starting to get bandwidth and delay sensitive
>dependant on the efficiency of the Internet in the future, I expect this
>might start to be billed dependant on distance/providers travelled over
>etc.  As otherwise if two ISP's do not directly connect or peer, an
>intermediate ISP would have to carry this traffic.  If this traffic
>requires a high QoS, I would imagine the intermediate ISP would want to
>charge for it.

Does that "Intermediate ISP" include such as MAE-WEST? They're already
charging for it, have you seen NAP bandwidth prices lately?

>Video over IP - When it comes around and end users via their xDSL
>connections want to receive 1.5Mbs of video traffic - I can see definate
>costs being incurred.  Of course multicast techniques, caching etc will
>make this not a geographical distance based pricing model, but a pricing
>model will surely evolve.

Until we get decent bandwidth at the end-user site, this simply won't
happen. Modem connections barely support Voice-over-IP. I mean a
preponderance of end-users must have sufficient direct band-width to make
them a decent market. Even when this does happen, they won't want to use it
for video. A classic is the MCI commercial where that gal was telecommuting
(bath-robing at noon), the last thing such would want is a video-based
conference. Been there, doing that.

>Of course this argument of carrying others traffic applies to peering also,
>if two ISP's peer a similar amount of data, no problem, but if it is one
>sided then billing would have to occur.  In other words, we will all buy
>and sell our connectivity to each other.
>
>One thing this state of affairs would lead to if it occurs is some scope
>for very interesting pricing models, value adds etc.

I don't think so. We have had remarkable lack of success in moving away
from the flat-rate pricing model, in the face of competition. Customers
want predictable bills. Volume based billing will not give them this.
However, they are more than willing to pay higher flat-rate costs, if there
is value-add.

>A topic measured earlier was the ratio between payroll/equipment costs vs
>line costs.  The ratio of this will depend on the model of the ISP.  A
>dialup provider will incurr much higher support costs for a much smaller
>bandwidth than a transit/backbone provider, which the line costs would be
>expected to be the majority of their costs.
>
>... Perhaps a bit more than 2 cents...
>
>Julian Rose
>              Internet Planning & Design
>AT&T Unisource Communications Services, Hoofddorp, Holland
> Tel: +31 (0)23 569 7878          Fax: +31 (0)23 569 7455

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com>rmeyer at mhsc.com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/