Why does Sprint have address filters again?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at priori.net
Mon Jun 1 07:36:19 UTC 1998

At 06:57 PM 5/31/98 -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:

>> Second Q: How many AS numbers are available in total?
>
>Currently an ASN is a 16-bit number.

And a whole lot (~1/2) are reserved to IANA.  Specifically:

  32768-64511    IANA-RSVD
  64512-65535    IANA-RSVD2

You can find this on ftp://rs.arin.net/netinfo/asn.txt (even if it hasn't
been February ;).

The second block is the one you have to worry about since those numbers are
used for things like BGP confederations.  I believe the first block could
be allocated to the general public, but you'd have to check with someone
more cluefull to be sure.

>Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin

TTFN,
patrick

Patrick W. Gilmore                      voice: +1-650-482-2840
Director of Operations, CCIE #2983        fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.                    http://www.priori.net
              "Tomorrow's Performance.... Today"