Warrants for email and backup tapes

William Allen Simpson wsimpson at greendragon.com
Tue Jul 28 22:24:31 UTC 1998

Our ISP was just served a warrant (out of California) demanding our
dialup logs and email backup tapes.  So far, the warrant is probably
invalid, as it mis-named the company.  And as far as we can tell, we are
not being charged with anything -- or at least we have not been told so.
We only have our usual contracts attorney, and he seems a bit out of his
depth.

This is pretty invasive to our customers.  We'll have a dickens of a
time complying, as we don't back up client email, except at odd
intervals backing up entire systems.  And we only keep dialing logs
around for a few months at a time, since we don't use them for billing.

Is anyone else having this experience?  If so, what have you done?

WSimpson at UMich.edu