Network Engineer salaries?

David L. Wasley David.Wasley at ucop.edu
Tue Jul 14 16:35:57 UTC 1998

While this is not an operational issue directly, it certainly is indirectly!

We are discussing and trying various ways to get a good perspective on
Network Engineer salaries: what do you have to pay staff to be competitive
in today's job market?  I realize this varies from locale to locale but
people do move a lot these days.

If you are willing, please email to me directly (please don't bother the
list) what you think the salary range (low/average/high not including
benefits) for the following general job classifications is today:

1) Network Technicians: The staff who watch the monitors, answer the
phones, maintain status quo, and generally resolve first level problems;

2) Network Engineers: The staff who resolve difficult problems, design
network extensions and enhancements, and manage new installations;

3) Network Designers: The highest level of 'cluefulness' who design new
networks and may also manage the rest of the staff (in their spare time :-).

Please try to be as realistic as possible.  Please indicate the locale in
which your figures would apply.

Thanks in advance,
	David Wasley
	University of California