Simulating full BGP peers

Sean Finn seanf at cisco.com
Mon Jul 13 05:56:15 UTC 1998

At 08:37 PM 7/10/98 -0500, Jon Green wrote:
>On Fri, 10 Jul 1998 17:57:31 -0700, seanf at cisco.com writes:
>
>>I'm personally curious as to exactly what
>>kind of question Jon is trying to answer ...
>
>What I need to do is test router performance between different
>vendors, while they do various ISP-like things, such as carry lots
>of BGP routes.  One option here is to use a live feed, but the problem
>here is that I need to control the conditions exactly between
>test runs.
>
>A few people have suggested commercial products to do this, and I'm
>going to look at both of them.  Another alternative might be to run
>gated on a Unix box and populate it with 50,000 or so static routes.

Ah, so what you're really looking for is a reproducable source
of "production size" BGP tables?

Sounds like a valid way to test cross platform performance,
but not really a job for a "modeling tool", per se.
(but your original subject line make much more sense to me now.)

(... and I'm certain that there are folks that would be curious
 about your results. :)

cheers -- Sean