Filtering Unregistered Blocks (WAS: small vent)

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Wed Jul 8 13:58:19 UTC 1998

> At 12:45 PM 6/28/98 PDT, Dave Rand wrote:
>
> >This has, in fact, happened before.  One of the reasons that the unallocated
> >spaces are listed on the RBL.
>
> This topic comes up every now and then.  I've searched the ARIN site and
> found some very outdated lists (some as old as 1996, but none newer than
> Feb, 1998).  I've searched the archives, but no one seems to have an answer
> - except you.  How do you tell what is and what is not allocated?

	Well, there is the problem of where to look.  There is a pretty
	comprehensive list of the delegation status of blocks at the
	/8 level that is pretty accurate.  I suspect that the RIRs can
	provide pretty good detail for the recent (1996 and later) delegations.

	The historical delegations are -much- harder to track.  I've been
	spending some time on clearing up detail on older /8 blocks
	and this data may make it into the publicly visable registries
	if they want it.  128.0.0.0/8 is done and I've got most of
	192.0.0.0/8 complete.

-- bill