small vent

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Thu Jul 2 00:29:48 UTC 1998

On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Kim Hubbard wrote:

> ARIN adds comments to the records for RIPE and APNIC, it's not logical
> for us to add comments to every non-US network record when it makes more
> sense to take your record out of ARIN and put it in RIPE's db.  This is
> something the registries are working on.

I'm beginning to wonder if it makes more sense for ARIN's whois server to
just reply to any queries for APNIC or RIPE space with this:

   No information available - RIPE Network.

   The ARIN Registration Services Host contains ONLY Internet
   Network Information: ARIN Region Networks, ASN's, and related POC's.
   Please use the whois server at rs.internic.net for DOMAIN related
   Information and nic.ddn.mil for MILNET Information. For European
   information use the whois server at whois.ripe.net and for the
   Asia-Pacific region use whois.apnic.net

That will stop the flow of useless complaints and anyone who is clueful
enough can pick up on the word "RIPE" or "APNIC" in the first line
and use it to request the info from the correct source.

--
Michael Dillon                 -               Internet & ISP Consulting
Memra Communications Inc.      -               E-mail: michael at memra.com