[nanog] Re: Microsoft offering xDSL access

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Sat Jan 24 05:46:48 UTC 1998

On Fri, Jan 23, 1998 at 02:34:02PM -0500, Stephen Balbach wrote:
> We've got 40 T1 ADSL customers coming into a single 1.1Mb SMDS connection
>
> Traffic is around %3 to %5 on average with occasional spikes to %50 or
> %100 for short periods. Im guessing this behaviour is due to a single PC
> at the customers side -- limitations on how much traffic a single user can
> generate - how much bandwidth a single stream uses. With a DS3 you could
> get perhaps 5,000 to 10,000 "T1" customers is a rough guess. Look at
> @Home's model for example.

Fine, but if I can get a "T-1" for $50 a month, I'm gonna put it in
every apartment building and condo in town and make a lot of money.
Until the "T-1" turns out not to be, at which point I'll be joining the
class action lawsuit.

Cheers,
-- jra
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,
Tampa Bay, Florida             on alt.fan.heinlein              +1 813 790 7592