[nanog] Re: Microsoft offering xDSL access

Greg Simpson gws at sweet.com
Fri Jan 23 21:30:19 UTC 1998

You can't shape to a model you can't develop, but if you're
already established, with those 40 customers you can develop a
bandwidth-distribution layout and rather simply predict trends..

If you are in a highly volatile market, which xDSL doesn't seem to be
quite yet :), this would be impossible, but adding customers at a
constant rate with no changing technology would imply a constant trend..

Of course, as soon as technology changes that is no longer valid :),
but.. alter the model on a monthly basis? ..

I wonder if RX and TX equalize at some point? If you have enough static
[customers] machines connected to be transmitting data at a steady level?
I'd be curious to see some numbers on that..

-greg