Microsoft offering xDSL access

DAVE NORDLUND nordlund at ccstaff.cc.ukans.edu
Fri Jan 23 13:20:44 UTC 1998

> Date:          Thu, 22 Jan 1998 22:28:52 -0500 (EST)
> From:          Adam Rothschild <asr at millburn.net>
> Subject:       Re: Microsoft offering xDSL access
> To:            Dean Morstad <dean at spacestar.net>
> Cc:            nanog at merit.edu

> > This may be very true, but I have questions about how the Internet
> > is going to handle a bunch of ordinary web surfers now demanding their web
> > pages at 30 times the speed?  Is there backbone infrastructure in place to
> > provide this kind of access on a household basis?  Where is Microsoft going
> > to find enough peering from NSP's to provide this access to their customers?
> >  I think it would be safe to assume that they probably have
>
> This usage can be sustained easily by using proxy/cache implementations
> similar to those of the cable modem ISP's.  After all, most of the
> bandwidth usage will come from http traffic most likely.
>
> Regarding the NSP, consider this:
>
> UUNet provides dialup pool connectivity for MSN.  Microsoft owns a
> nice chunk of UUNet.  UUNet is/will soon be implementing xDSL (IDSL and
> SDSL to be exact).  UUNet is a big monster, and will only grow
> bigger ("If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em")...  Microsoft will be
> introducing xDSL access.
>
> ...and draw your own conclusions. :)

Hmm.  Worldcom owns UUNet/ALTERNET.  Worldcom does dial up for AOL and
Compuserve.  Worldcom owns LDDS/Wiltel.  Worldcom is buying MCI and already
owns ANS.  Microsoft will do what?

History:  ANS was the first non commercial (read educational) Internet
backbone.  ALTERNET was the first commercial NSP in 19987.

Dave Nordlund               d-nordlund at ukans.edu
University of Kansas        913/864-0450
Computing Services          FAX 913/864-0485
Lawrence, KS  66045         KANREN