[nanog] Re: Microsoft offering xDSL access

Paul J. Zawada zawada at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 23 17:56:44 UTC 1998

At 09:19 AM 1/23/98 -0800, Jim Shankland wrote:

>Of course, this is orthogonal to xDSL; the same economies of scale would
>apply with T-1 local loops.
>
>Seems to me that for the RBOCs, the big disadvantage of xDSL is losing
>all those fat, high-margin T-1 local loop fees.

Two problems with this...

1) If the RBOCs try to keep status quo with the T1 situation, the cable
companies may eventually eat the RBOCs' lunch.

2) The RBOCs can deploy fewer HDSL-based T1s due to Near-End cross-Talk
(NEXT) concerns...  ADSL doesn't have a NEXT problem so they can deploy
many more ADSL loops than HDSL loops in the same cable sheath...   In this
case, volume will win over keeping prices high...

--zawada

Paul J. Zawada, RCDD     | Senior Network Engineer
zawada at ncsa.uiuc.edu     | National Center for Supercomputing Applications
+1 630 686 7825          | http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/People/zawada