Microsoft offering xDSL access

Geoff White geoffw at precipice.v-site.net
Fri Jan 23 16:54:53 UTC 1998

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, David Lesher wrote:

> Jay R. Ashworth sez:
> >
> > > If xDSL can only run about 18kft end-to-end, to service a wide metro area
> > > like Washington, D.C. one would either have to have a POP within every 6
> > > mile radius (fed by conventional circuits) or backhaul the data (by
> > > conventional circuit) to their POP.
> > >
> > > Is this correct, if not, what am I missing?
> >
> > That's correct.  DSL is a baseband technology, running over copper.
> > Read: layer 1.  The only practical place to put DSL headends right now
> > is in RBOC CO's.  No one else has the point to point copper -- it's not
> > a multiplexed layer 1 service like cablemodems.
>
> OR.... You have to be the RBOC. Or subservient to same.

Well my understanding here in PacBell/SBC land is that the way it will
work, (this comes from someone who made a naieve inquiry to another
equally naieve saleperson at PacBell/SBC), is that you need to connect to
PacBell's ATM backbone in order to order xDSL (the person just wanted to
connect from their home to the office), when I heard this I though it was
totally absurd but the truth, as they say is far stranger :)

What the salesguy was saying but (he really didn't know it) and what I
found out from a little digging is that PacBell's intent is to only sell
xDSl to CLECs ! So then it all makes sense, you need a router that
connects to their ATM cloud, then they just route the traffic from their
copper on over to your routers and presto! You are an xDSL enabled ISP!

So the question is, are CLECs subservient to RBOCs but I think this then
becomes a discussion for isp-telco not nanog.

In any event the time will soon come that if you want to be a real ISP,
you will have to become a CLEC.

						geoffw