[nanog] Re: Microsoft offering xDSL access

Jim Shankland jas at flyingfox.com
Fri Jan 23 17:19:50 UTC 1998

> We are part of the Bell Atlantic ADSL trial in Northern VA -
> basically BA has 6 CO's with terminating ADSL modems. This is
> aggregated onto a FDDI ring between each CO on cisco's. One of the
> CO's has a port into the BA SMDS cloud which is the interconnect
> with participating ISP's who also have a port on the SMDS cloud.
> So basically, packetize the data as early as possible to get the
> 20x plus economies of scale vs hauling channelized circuits.

Of course, this is orthogonal to xDSL; the same economies of scale would
apply with T-1 local loops.

Seems to me that for the RBOCs, the big disadvantage of xDSL is losing
all those fat, high-margin T-1 local loop fees.  The advantage is
getting a shot at taking over the Internet business.

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.