Things to do to make the network better

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Thu Jan 8 03:28:20 UTC 1998

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Morten Reistad wrote:

> I am network manager for a pretty much medium-sized ISP, with around
> 1700 internal network blocks; 600 of which come from dynamic sources.
> (RADIUS; variuos routing protocols). Given that a stock router will
> run out of filter lists long before the 600 mark I see major scaling
> problems here. (Outside of our network we show around 30 BGP network

You need to do this as close to the edge as possible.  Do you have routers
with 600 customer links directly connected?  If you did, then it might
only be feasible to require that your customers filter their traffic such
that they cannot send bogus source traffic to you...and have stiff
penalties in their service contracts for failure to maintain such filters.

 Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |