route ingress

Alex P. Rudnev alex at Relcom.EU.net
Wed Jan 7 09:39:26 UTC 1998

I am sorry, but what for do you want it? Why is not efficient to use AS
identification in conjuction to IP prefix filtering at the 1't level ISPs
(and may be 2'nd level too), based on the NIC data base.

??
On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Vadim Antonov wrote:

> Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 13:23:47 -0800
> From: Vadim Antonov <avg at pluris.com>
> To: "Sean M. Doran" <smd at clock.org>, nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: Re: route ingress
>
> Sean M. Doran wrote:
>
> > Vadim Antonov ?avg at pluris.com? writes:
> >
> > ? The only real solution is strong cryptographical authentication of
> > ? the ownership of routing prefixes.   For some reason i do not see
> > ? any serious work in that direction being done.
> >
> > This would be much easier if we had a bottom-up
> > hierarchical addressing structure rather than the
> > current top-down one.
>
> I quite agree with that (though i'm not convinced that "bottom->top"
> allocation combined with recursive NATting is the best architecture).
>
> However, this does not preclude doing authentication with the current
> routing system.
>
> --vadim

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)