Denial of Service Attacks disguised as Spam...

Bradley Reynolds brad at b63695.student.cwru.edu
Wed Jan 7 04:45:51 UTC 1998

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Steve Noble wrote:
> The simple thing to do is null route the offending host(s) until they call
> you and ask you to turn it off.  If they don't and you don't get any
> complaints from your customers, then all is good :)
>
> 	-Steve

This is a reactive solution to the problem.  Though there are times
when the only solution you have is to attempt to quell the problem
through a plethora of ugly ip route statements, I hardly think it is
a good solution to the problem.  Any person looking to harm your network
with intent greater than that of a passing whim would probably decide
to change his/her ip address after realizing that a host suddenly became
unreachable.

brad reynolds
ber at cwru.edu