Denial of Service Attacks disguised as Spam...

Steve Noble steve at altrina.exodus.net
Tue Jan 6 20:18:11 UTC 1998

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Barry Shein wrote:

> Why? Because as another major site adminstrator agreed with me in
> private mail, relating specific incidents: You call an upstream
> ISP/NSP or the FBI or whatever and their minds cloud and they say "oh
> yes, SPAM, annoying isn't it?  We get hundreds of complaints like this
> a day we'll try to get to yours eventually, but I'd recommend just
> deleting it <click>."

The simple thing to do is null route the offending host(s) until they call
you and ask you to turn it off.  If they don't and you don't get any
complaints from your customers, then all is good :)

	-Steve

P.S.  I find this route is very effective when dealing with sites that
source malicious behavior and refuse to deal with it.