Deciding whose network block is whose?

Sean M. Doran smd at clock.org
Tue Jan 6 19:03:06 UTC 1998

Sean Donelan <SEAN at SDG.DRA.COM> writes:

> Other than Sprint's global default for 0/1 (and then
> SPRINT has the nerve to complain when people point
> default at them) there is no information in the IRR
> about valid origin ASNs for Net 3/8.

I am a hypocrite.  I have flexible opinions.

However, I do not believe for an instant that Sprint
actually advertised 0/1 to the people Sprint (whether you
mean me, Peter or Hank by that) have complained about.

(We did twice advertise 0/1 to InternetMCI and others,
which was interesting in several ways.)

> The problem of bogus routing has been getting worse.  Is it going to
> take a disaster to get the attention of various
> provider's management?

Uhm, what does manglement have to do with reality?
Do you really think there is some manager out there who is
preventing people from "fixing" this problem, or who could
somehow cajole her or his staff into doing a "fix"?

The address registries are believed because the address
registries aggregate the routability policies of the
various networks participating in the Internet routing
system.  They are authoritative because ISPs have made
them so to prevent a large amount of bilateral
negotiations about what really should be routed where.

The problem is not the lack of a canon, but the lack of a
cannon; there is no simple means by which to enforce completely
correct routing with present technology, while preserving
the flexibility of timely dynamic reconfiguration of the Internet.

	Sean.