Web caching liability

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Fri Jan 2 16:49:36 UTC 1998

On Fri, Jan 02, 1998 at 08:23:00AM -0800, Turnando Fuad wrote:
> I would be curious to the liability issues surrounding the use of web
> proxy servers and Cisco Cache engines. ISP/NSPs traditionally only
> forwards packets or are at least responsible to a certain degree for
> resolution of IP addresses from DNS and routers. The use of these web
> cache technologies allows ISP/NSPs to now *intelligently determine* what
> data the requesting client receives. With web proxy server, at least the
> client is aware(we hope) that data is being cached but the Cisco Cache
> engine makes that process transparent. As we are all well aware, these
> intelligent implementations don't always work. It seems that we are on
> slippery grounds making content decisions for end user requests. And
> doesn't it become even messier with the suggested/proposed web caching at
> the MAEs or at the NSP level?

It may well be worse than that, depending on judicial interpretations
of the Cubby and Stratton-Oakmont cases.  I suspect that S-O wouldn't
apply to this circumstance, but who can tell what a judge will think.

Cheers,
-- jr 'oh, yeah: Happy New Year!'
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,
Tampa Bay, Florida             on alt.fan.heinlein              +1 813 790 7592