don't fall victim to FUD was Re: action: Santa Clara CA & Montgomery MD

Gordon Cook cook at cookreport.com
Fri Feb 27 17:17:38 UTC 1998

Dear Nanog list members and Congress people

Before you get too excercised about Bill Simpson's allegations in the
message below let me provide some context that is missing from Mr.
Simpson's message.  On Monday in the IETF mail list  considerable anger was
displayed over the statement in the Green Paper that the IANA Policy
Council would

"coordinate the development of other technical protocol parameters as
needed to maintain universal connectivity on the Internet."

It was pointed out that the proper function should be to "coordinate the
**assignment** of other technical protocol parameters . . ."

On Monday afternoon I interviewed Ira Magaziner and brought up this issue.
On Monday evening I posted to the IETF list Ira's statement to me that
development was mistaken and assignment should have been used.

On Feb 25 Scott Bradner posted the a separate denial from IRA to IETF list: