action: Santa Clara CA & Montgomery MD

William Allen Simpson wsimpson at greendragon.com
Fri Feb 27 14:38:06 UTC 1998

Gentlefolk, the US proposed rule taking over the Internet root servers has
many issues that may be of concern to network operators.  Here are two congressional offices that have expressed interest in electronic comments.
They want to gauge current levels of interest by the community.

If you live or have business offices in these areas, or somewhere near,
please take a moment to send a short email to one of these representatives
in the next few days.  The congress members are in recess (that means
at home) this week, and go back next Tuesday.

Zoe Lofgren
  zoegram at lofgren.house.gov
  Please include a complete U.S. Postel address.

    Local Office:
                     635 North 1st Street, Suite B
                     San Jose, CA 95112
                     tel: 408-271-8700
    Washington:
                     318 Cannon Building
                     Washington, D.C. 20515
                     tel: 202-225-3072

Constance A. Morella
  Rep.Morella at mail.house.gov.
  Be sure to include U.S. Postal address.

    Rockville                                     (301) 424 - 3501
    Office       51 Monroe Street, Suite 507
                 Rockville, Maryland 20850
    Washington                                    (202) 225 - 5341
    Office       2228 Rayburn House Office Building
                 Washington, D.C. 20515

Some issues of particular concern are:

 - the proposed rule allows the US government to control
   "... policies and standards for those activities, including ...
    interoperability, privacy, security, ...."

   Do we really think it would be a good idea for the US government
   to control the standards for interoperability?

   Do we really think it would be a good idea for the US government
   to control the standards for privacy and security?

   Especially as operators, do we really think it would be a good idea
   for the US government to control the passwords and keys for the root
   servers?

   Please think hard about the consequences.  Will they let your domain
   into the system (sign your NS records) unless you agree to escrow
   your server keys with them?

 - Since the announcement last year, we have been looking forward to
   the day (March 31) when NSI no longer has monopoly control over
   registration.  The proposed rule extends the monopoly another 6
   months (minimum), and control of the major domains indefinitely
   (at least 2 years).

   Do we really think that is a great idea?  After a year has passed,
   and no plans for transition have been made by NSI?

 - The root servers are currently run by volunteers.  The proposed
   rule would take over operation, and give it to a new corporation,
   set up by the US government.

   Are we having any real problems with our current servers?

   Do we really think it is a great idea for the US government to be
   actively involved at all?