Spam which is designed to crash POP and many mail readers...

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Sat Feb 21 22:44:08 UTC 1998

On Sat, Feb 21, 1998 at 04:58:23PM -0500, Barry Shein wrote:
> [More proof that these "spammers" aren't selling anything, they're
> just garden-variety petit criminals trying to disrupt the internet...]
>
> Anyhow, has anyone else seen this recent spate of spam which is
> basically designed to crash POP and Netscape and other programs in the
> past few days?
>
> It's not you, they've found "from" addresses which cause problems, the
> usual first symptom is a bunch of people complaining about "stuck" POP
> locks or problems with Netscape, elm and other mail readers.

The stuff that fries me is the stuff that uses HTML inlines to crash
the mail readers of people who are dumb enough to use mail readers that
_interpret_ HTML in mail bodies automatically... which We All Know Mail
Readers Shouldn't Do.

Cheers,
-- jra
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,
Tampa Bay, Florida             on alt.fan.heinlein             +1 813 790 7592

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com