Erroneous BGP advertisement

Joe Shaw jshaw at insync.net
Wed Feb 11 17:13:47 UTC 1998

I thought all responsible parties (like Sprint) filtered their customer
routes.  I know I can't advertise or leak out anything to MCI or UUNet
that I havn't registered with them.  I've heard in the past that Sprints
route acceptance policy was a little on the trusting side, but not
filtering your customers announcements is just silly.  They (sprint)
should only allow their customers to advertise their registered IP space
and stop things like this from happening.

I'm looking at Sprint's BGP policy (http://www.sprint.net/bgppolicy.htm)
and it appears that they are way too trusting.  They expect their
customers to do everything right, and for someone with little or no
knowledge of setting up BGP, they could quickly cause havoc for Sprint's
or other carriers' networks.  This is especially interesting since they
offer no BGP help what so ever according to this document.  Also according
to this document, the customer is responsible for all filtering, which is
an extremely poor practice.  I wonder how long it will take for a Sprint
customer to advertise a default route out and I wonder how many sites it
would effectively blackhole.

Regards,
Joe Shaw - jshaw at insync.net
NetAdmin - Insync Internet Services