MTU of the Internet?

Phil Howard phil at charon.milepost.com
Mon Feb 9 21:52:40 UTC 1998

> > Actually I think there is a fair bit of awareness among the "users" out
> > there - at least among those that are actually changing their MTU's...
>
> I recently discovered that some of my customers have been led to
> believe that they should employ a program called "Turbo MTU" (or some
> such), which apparently has knobs for every tiny detail of Windows
> 95's TCP/IP stack.  Since these are often the same type of customers
> who simply change every setting they can at random, I should not be
> suprised that they encounter performance problems.

IMHO, most of the people out there changing their windows 95 have no idea
what it is.  They were just told by someone to do it, and when they see
it does make an improvement, they think they have an "underground" source
to secret information used primarily be Internet experts.  I've heard at
least one CNE tell someone it was a "Microcomputer Timeout Unit".  I wonder
who is the most ignorant in some of these cases.

--
Phil Howard | stop2it1 at no1place.net stop3545 at no52ads7.edu eat1this at dumb4ads.com
  phil      | suck4it0 at nowhere7.net no9spam7 at dumbads6.org a1b9c8d8 at anywhere.com