MTU of the Internet?

Christopher Masto chris at netmonger.net
Mon Feb 9 19:13:12 UTC 1998

On Sat, Feb 07, 1998 at 08:56:33AM -0800, Douglas Tooley wrote:

> > > Smells like a marketing opportunity.
> >
> > What, marketing a replacement stack?  (you really should quote, BTW)
> >
> > No, because the _users_ don't know enough better to care. It's the
> > _net_ that suffers.
> >

> Actually I think there is a fair bit of awareness among the "users" out
> there - at least among those that are actually changing their MTU's...

I recently discovered that some of my customers have been led to
believe that they should employ a program called "Turbo MTU" (or some
such), which apparently has knobs for every tiny detail of Windows
95's TCP/IP stack.  Since these are often the same type of customers
who simply change every setting they can at random, I should not be
suprised that they encounter performance problems.
--
	       Christopher Masto <chris at netmonger.net>
	Director of Operations, NetMonger Communications, Inc.
    +1-516-221-6664  http://www.netmonger.net/  info at netmonger.net