MTU of the Internet?

John Hawkinson jhawk at bbnplanet.com
Mon Feb 9 06:39:36 UTC 1998

> Ebone will be deploying code that does RED in CEF in
> approximately nine hours.  I expect BC and I will be
> playing with RED most of this week, seeing how the Cisco
> implementation does on congested high-speed and sometimes
> high-delay interfaces where traffic is very heavily aggregated.
>
> I am not sure anybody else has done this yet (jhawk?)
> although there is some positive experience with RED on
> slow interfaces.

Some. A few links, only one of which sees enough drops for RED to make
eny difference at all. I've been remiss :-(, though oddly enough I've
spent some cycles with it last week, and have some more slotted this
week.

If people are interested this link (unidirectionally) is doing RED'd:

8  paix.bbnplanet.net (4.0.1.50)  80.247 ms  80.399 ms  80.463 ms
9  su-bfr.bbnplanet.net (4.0.1.49)  82.032 ms  81.574 ms  80.578 ms

BTW, if you want to have a numbers-based discussion of your
results, I suggest big-internet.

I suppose we need to come up with some good guidelines for tweaking
parameters...

--jhawk