MTU of the Internet?

Sean M. Doran smd at clock.org
Sun Feb 8 18:04:21 UTC 1998

I won't touch the other stuff in the message, although
there are some errors.  This leapt out and is related to a
couple of private conversations.

Marc Slemko <marcs at znep.com> writes:

> > Like maybe a lack of buffer space in terminal server?
>
> I doubt it.  Personally, aside from a gain for interactive work over a
> loaded low bandwidth connection, especially with some sort of priority
> queueing used, I find no gain from a smaller MTU on a dialup link.

Yes.

The problem is not the lack of buffer space but a surplus
of it.

TCP will always find the choke point in a path and attempt
to fill the queue directly in front of it.  The congestion
window will tend to stabilize on the amount of buffer
space available to it at that point plus any additional
propagation delay times the bandwidth at the choke point.

With a tail-drop queueing "discipline", a TCP flow may
have a sizeable amount of buffering available to it before
a tail drop occurs; unless this is moderated by something
like RED, several seconds of queueing delay should be
expected.

Moreover, unless, as you note, there is some sort of
priority queueing, this means that a new burst of traffic
will be delayed by the length of the queue, i.e., several
seconds.  Not so fun.

Note that using small MTUs does not alter this; once TCP
has discovered the amount of buffer space in front of the
choke point, as long as it keeps transmitting constantly,
modulo drops elsewhere, no matter what the MTU size is,
the same amount of buffer space will be occupied.

In fact, given that the congestion window is measured in
bytes and not segments, with a smaller MTU and path MTU
discovery (or fragmentation before the choke point) you
will have a *longer* queueing delay thanks to the
additional header bytes, assuming the queue is "slotted"
with N buffers rather than just a linear array of bytes.

The appropriate solution is to use RED to moderate the
amount of space that any given TCP flow can occupy in a
queue to a small number.   This allows a flow in
equilibrium to adjust to transient congestion due to other
traffic through the congestion point, and also allows that
other traffic through with potentially much shorter
delays, without causing the choke point to become idle.

Examining Floyd & Jacobson's work at ftp.ee.lbl.gov
is well worthwile, btw.

	Sean.