MTU of the Internet?

Paul A Vixie paul at vix.com
Sun Feb 8 05:55:35 UTC 1998

> I'm aware of the existance of a protocol for HTTP to persistent connections
> where one object/document can be downloaded, and after that is done, another
> can be requested and downloaded, and again as needed.

that's what i meant by "serial multiplexing".

>                                                       But I know not of any
> protocol for multiplexing so that I can have concurrency of the transfers of
> multiple images at the same time.  Is there an RFC for this or is it some
> other kind of document?

that's not what i meant by "serial multiplexing".  but can someone please
explain why anyone would want to do this?  you don't get the bits faster by
opening multiple connections, now that persistent http allows you to avoid
the inter-object delay that used to be induced by doing a full syn/synack/ack
for each object.  does seeing the GIFs fill in in parallel really make that
much difference, if the total page fill time is going to be the same?