MTU of the Internet?

Fletcher E Kittredge fkittred at gwi.net
Fri Feb 6 02:05:46 UTC 1998

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998 11:28:04 -0500 (EST)  Joseph Malcolm wrote:
> >Pardon my ruffled feathers, but IMHO this is not so!  The Butterfly was
> >a fine example of a massively parallel computer.  It was, unfortunately,
> >seldom deployed with the full complement of 128 processors.

Well, the Butterfly was used in many capacities.  As a communications
processor, it stunk and never was deployed in production with more
than 4 processors (or am I wrong?).  That is why BBN is dead, and
Cisco is a 4 billion dollar per year company.  BBN used to totally
dominate the router business until they started in with POS like the
Butterfly.

Didn't sell many of them as massively parallel systems either.

regards,
fletcher
(ex. fkittred at bbn.com, fkittred at das.harvard.edu)