Transparent Caching Solutions - Information Wanted

Bill Unsworth bill at u-net.net
Wed Feb 4 09:49:53 UTC 1998

Interesting discussion - no many comments from ISPs currently using caching
regarding the effectiveness - cache hit rates or bandwidth "saved".

Any strategies for populating caches (in addition to user hits)?

Bill

At 12:08 PM 2/3/98 -0800, you wrote:
>> Or, if you are a "Cheap Bastard (tm)", you can take a copy of Squid
>> (http://squid.nlanr.net), and an OS which can handle transparent proxying
>> (Solaris, Linux, etc), a high performance RAID, and have yourself the
>> equivilent. Squid is a heirarchial web cache/proxy/accelerator available
for
>> free.
>
>i love squid.  i use it as a nontransparent proxy and also as the web server
>accelerator for all of the content we publish.  squid is really cool,
>especially squid-novm.
>
>i worry a bit about the supposed proxy capabilities of these other os's.  we
>don't think of ourselves as idiots here when it comes to kernel programming,
>and so the fact that it's taken a year of wizard level kernel muckraking to
>get a system that can do thousands of simultaneous transparent sessions makes
>me think that it's actually a hard problem.
>
>we got basic kernel transparency working in an afternoon.  the devil is in
>the details though.

U-NET Limited - Global Transit Division
Transit for ISPs from PAIX, MaNAP or Telehouse London
mailto:world at u-net.net http://world.u-net.net
Tel 44 1925 484444 Fax 44 1925 484466