MAE-Central

Nathan Stratton nathan at robotics.net
Tue Feb 3 16:06:28 UTC 1998

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Kent W. England wrote:

> Sorry, but I can't find a Worldcom press release anywhere. I don't feel
> right cutting and pasting the entire article, but the location is slated to
> be Dallas.
>
> (BTW, isn't it scandalous that MFS would copy the PacBell NAP and build a
> MAE using S'com BPX switches? I went back and checked the nanog archives
> and compiled a list of all the ISPs that swore they would never connect to
> an ATM NAP. How many are planning to disconnect from the MAEs when the ATM
> switches come up?)

Yes and no. Sure a lot of people that said they would not connect to a ATM
NAP, but things do change. The current FDDI NAPs are just not able to
support the current load and their is no good way to expand them. ATM has
changed a lot in the last 4 years. ATM switched have come a long way, sure
they are still not where I would like to see them, but they are getting
there. I don't think it matters anyone, the whole public NAP idea (I
think was a good idea) is dead.

--
Nathan Stratton				Telecom & ISP Consulting
www.robotics.net	 		nathan at robotics.net