Something fishy at NetSol again...

Wayne wayne at domain.net
Wed Dec 30 17:21:17 UTC 1998

At 6:02 AM -0500 12/30/98, Steven J. Sobol wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 1998 at 10:38:59PM -0700, Rodney Joffe wrote:
>> I hate co-incidences.
>
> I don't think it's coincidental. Well, maybe it was... Using the default
> server that ships with Red Hat Linux's whois, I got that message too. Using
> rs8.internic.net, one of the other names in the "hunt group", worked, though.

I think I remember that NetSol was using or experimenting with some
dynamic load balancing system to help scale up some of their
services. If that work was successful then there may be several hosts
behind a load balancer... effectively hidden behind a single IP
address which seems to be the driver in the assumption that there's
now only one host.

We use sililarly configured infrastructure to deploy most of our
services (at Critical Path) and believe me... we've got dozens of
hosts with many "hiding" behind single IP addresses...

Just a thought I'd put out there before the ISP community heads to
northern Virginia with torches and pitchforks. :-)