** Forged spamming going on

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Tue Dec 22 21:01:07 UTC 1998

At 12:59 AM 12/22/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>I begin to think you're being _wilfully perverse_ in your
>misunderstandings of things people state clearly.

Let me clarify things then.  First he said he RBL'ed them "in the first 6
months of the RBL".  Now they are RBL supporters.  Then read the "makes no
effort"  The so-called "effort" here is really just "cooperation" with Paul
Vixie.

I'm not the only one concerned about coercion by the RBL.  I know I'm not
the only one concerned that the use of this coercion is capricious and
unpredictable, and changes depending on Paul's moods and own interests.
This was demonstrated quite clearly with the abandonment of rules to
essentially blackmail NetSol into cooperation.

The bottom line is that the RBL is a powerful hammer, and the person in
control is inclined to act capriciously without concern for anyone else or
even follow his own rules about their "permitted activities" as he
originally defined them in the pages on qualification for the RBL.

Thats an operational problem.  I think we either need to take the hammer
away from Paul and give it to someone more even handed and fair about the
application of the rules, or stop using the hammer altogether. The latter
alternative is unlikely.

I have argued in the past that the RBL will not acheive its desired goals.
And I don't think it will, or has.  But I don't deny it certainly does have
effective power to coerce and influence the industry.  It can clearly move
big players like earthlink and others.

I can live by whatever rules as long as they are evenly applied to everyone
else.  I can't live with a powerful instrument like the RBL which is
applied capriciously at Pauls apparent whim.  I think others agree with this.

		--Dean

           Plain Aviation, Inc                  dean at av8.com
           LAN/WAN/UNIX/NT/TCPIP          http://www.av8.com