** Forged spamming going on

Phil Howard phil at whistler.intur.net
Mon Dec 21 22:44:58 UTC 1998

alex at nac.net writes:

> Thinking about this, there is no solution; here are my options:
>
> 1) blackhole AT&T, which does nothing, since the mail is bounces coming
> from AOL.
>
> 2) blackhole AOL, which would fix my attack, but would break all
> legitimate mail from/to AOL.
>
> 3) temporarily blackhole mailme.com, which would prevent me from getting
> the bounces, but then I can't send/get legit mail.
>
> I wish AT&T and other huge dialup organizations could control the
> users they have; there should be a licensing process..

4) convince AOL to blackhole AT&T.

AOL knows the pain of spam.  There is a remote chance they might actually
do it.  And if AOL could be convinced to do this, it might actually get
some attention at AT&T.

ITMT:

If the mail bounces are addressed to a specific user at mailme.com, then set
up an autoresponder on that address that sends a reply back that explains
that the address is a forgery, giving the 800 number for AT&T support.
Play tough with AOL since it is they who actually in a position to stop
the flood.  Imagine if AOL were to use RBL.

--
  --   | Inturnet, Inc.              | Director of Internet Services |   --