** Forged spamming going on

George Herbert gherbert at crl.com
Mon Dec 21 22:18:06 UTC 1998

Dean, it's this simple:
AOL is not *sending* the mail.  They are not *relaying* the mail.
They don't qualify as a RBLable party because of that, in this incident.
The proper description for "they're bouncing it back to me because the
headers were forged to say it came from me but it didn't,
and they're just the site where the targeted customers reside"
is neither "sender" nor "relayer", nor generally considered an
abusing party in a spam situation though it may cause some
third-party forgery victim some pain.

This seems perfectly obvious to me.  It should be perfectly obvious
to anyone who understands net mail and has read the RBL website.
Why are you going on and on about it?

-george william herbert
gherbert at crl.com   I speak for myself only.