InterNIC "whois server <handle>" broke?

Jeffrey Haas elezar at pfrc.org
Fri Dec 18 19:32:05 UTC 1998

On Fri, Dec 18, 1998 at 11:17:00AM -0800, Derek Balling wrote:
> But why not the following syntax: (and I admit, I've never used "whois
> server server-handle" before, but always the below syntax)
>
> [dredd at lawgiver dredd]$ whois conch-hst

[...]

The whole purpose of the "server" directive is to give you a dump,
within reason, of the domains that contain your server's NIC handle.
Conch is no longer supposed to be serving DNS, but the NIC and its
agents are giving us a HELL of a time getting the thing changed to the
new handle, especially for domains that we aren't registered handles for.

I'm tempted at this point to LAME DELEGATE each of the affected domains
(lucky for me, I have a snapshot of this the last time it worked).
Never mind that it will take about a solid month of beating on
hostmaster and calling and yelling to get this done.  Lame delegations
seem to get ignored most of the time when we submit them.

The NIC is either broke, or is slipping even further in letting
people keep the whois system clean.  I'm trying to figure out if this
is oops or otherwise.

I'm not going to even comment on their broken BEFORE-USE guardian problems..

Anyone from NetSol wishing to comment?

--
 Jeffrey Haas   "Denial of Spamming is not a crime."
elezar at pfrc.org  -- Russell Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com>