MAE-West et al.

Bill Jones jones at nsipo.arc.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 14 06:29:51 UTC 1998

Steve Feldman wrote:

> > Any word if the major power problems near San Fransisco are affecting
> > MAE-West or any carriers in that area?
>
> The MAE West facilities are 20 miles or so south of the affected
> areas (SF, San Mateo County) so no problems here.
>
> I can't speak for any of the carriers, but I haven't noted
> problms on any of the circuits which I pay attention to.
>
>         Steve

MAE-West-Moffett side went onto generator power and remained on
generator power after the first flicker of lights for 72 hours.
Numerous power alarms were being generated but no actual malfunctions
at the gateway were detected.  However, power restoration by PG&E
appeared to be sluggish on the Peninsula and though 20 miles away
seems far enough away, the electrical grids intersect at Moffett and
prudence was recommended.  Generator and UPS/battery system performed
as expected, A-OK.

	/bill jones, Ames Internet eXchange manager