Ignorant mass-media strikes again

Forrest W. Christian forrestc at iMach.com
Thu Dec 10 01:21:50 UTC 1998

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Jon Zeeff wrote:

> Is there equipment that, short of a fixed ip, tries to reassign the same
> ip back to the same user?  Ie, puts the ip address in a fifo but pulls it
> out early if it's the same user calling back.

I was working on some radius code to do this.   Bascically allocate
everything out of a big ip pool and keep track of which user each IP was
assigned to last, and if when they re-connected, the IP was still
available, re-assign it to them.

However, I quit working on it when I discovered the following...

> > > I bet Ms. Thorton never heard that TCP can preserve idle connections
> > > when dial-up link is down.  Yeah, dial-on-demand is such a hard thing
> > > to do!

This is great and wonderful, EXCEPT the microsoft stack WILL NOT keep a
connection open across multiple "dialin sessions".  This effectively
breaks any desire to be semi-statically allocated.

Microsoft's crappy stack strikes again....

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc at imach.com)
iMach, Ltd., P.O. Box 5749, Helena, MT 59604      http://www.imach.com
Solutions for your high-tech problems.                  (406)-442-6648