More Sidgemore on per-bit pricing

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Wed Dec 9 23:43:49 UTC 1998

On Wed, Dec 09, 1998 at 10:33:44AM -0500, Nathan Stratton wrote:
> > Yeah... but you _STILL_ can't get that large a router port for that
> > little money, and you never will.
> >
> > Bandwidth is what costs money, not copper.
>
> I was just saying how you could lower the cost of the ADSL loop from
> around $150 to $30, with both you would need to supply the IP. The idea
> would be that you would not just use the port for internet traffice. You
> would provide voice services, you would provice VOD (video on demand), and
> cable services (using something like I Magic TV).

Oh yeah, I got that, Nathan.  It's just that I get miffed when people
keep going on (don't take this personal) about how cool it is that I
can get my loop down from $300 to $150... when my router port is still
$1800.  Nice, yeah, but not what people mean when they blather about
"cheap bandwidth".  If it's _that_ cheap, it's running under completely
different assumptions than a standard T-1; viz: cable modems.

And now for something completely different.  Anyone need a wireless T-1?
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=47936641

Cheers,
-- jr 'got a bunch of 5251 cards, too' a
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592