More Sidgemore on per-bit pricing

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Wed Dec 9 22:42:39 UTC 1998

Nathan Stratton wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, David Diaz wrote:
>
> > I know this is a bit late sorry...
> >
> > Well what if I had a xDSL local loop from someone like Northpoint for
> > something like $150 and then did the per bit model.  A T1 (or even slightly
> > less) for $350 starts to look rather attractive to a lot of people.
>
> True, but if you become a CLEC and use something like access method 5 you
> can get that loop cost to around $30 and also offer voice services using
> the first 4 kHz of the loop.

Unfortunately you'd still be at the mercy of the RBOC to actually take
care of your line when it breaks. I'm not even sure being a really big
CLEC would help in my neck of the woods.

What I wouldn't give to be able to buy connectivity from someone other
than Bell Atlantic (he says, after waiting 27 hours for a blown mid-span
repeater to be diagnosed and replaced).

Dan

Daniel Senie                                        dts at senie.com
Amaranth Networks Inc.            http://www.amaranthnetworks.com