UUNet goon

Marc Slemko marcs at znep.com
Wed Dec 9 18:12:51 UTC 1998

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Joe  Shaw wrote:

> It appears that one of our previous customers who was assigned that class
> C by us decided to buy a T1 from UUNet and UUNet let them use our IP
> space.  What kind of checks are usually done when peolpe come to the NSP's
> with other people's address space?  A simple check at ARIN would have

For most of the major backbones?  Very little as far as I see.  A cheque
in hand, and they are happy to announce anything, including /32s, rfc1918
space, etc.  Sometimes, if you complain they will fix it in a week or two.

If you look at the past few years, it is very obvious that some of the
major backbones (no names...) have very little in place to control what
routes they announce or customers announce and very little control in
place to verify such changes before they are made.  You have to wonder if
a customer signed up with one of them and started doing abusive and
destructive things with BGP if it would take as long for them to take
action as it does at times when leased line customers spam.

Many or most smaller backbones and providers seem to have much better
controls in place.