Prioritization... (RED?)

Bradley Reynolds brad at qual.net
Tue Dec 8 23:12:42 UTC 1998

One tidbit that is interesting: dwred on the
cisco gives non tcp packets the lowest possible
priority.  Thus, with an aggressive drop pattern
(depending on how you have configured minth, maxth and
exponential weight on the router) you will run into a problem.

I am not sure as to who has dwred configured on congested
interfaces at exchanges.  You can throw packets
into one of 8 precedence levels @ your border and
then craft red to select harshly against low vs. high
priority.  However, upon observation of a network
without car matching certain types of traffic and
setting priorities, i see about 3 orders of magnitude
difference in packets moving at the lowest precedence
compared to packets moving at higher precedences.
RED considerations are not necessarily the cause
of your problem, but it is a possibility which is
worth investigating.

more cisco implementaion specific information at:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios111/cc111/wred.htm

BR