ARIN co-located nameserver problem

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Tue Dec 8 17:59:51 UTC 1998

We are having a problem getting ARIN to do a nameserver change.  We are
consolidating nameservers for a new customer, and want to make our
nameservers authoritative for the in-addr maps.

We have a nameserver co-located at Empire Net in Nashua, NH. We do this
because we don't want to have nameservice fail if our own internet
connection goes down.  Needless to say, Empire.net isn't responsible for
our address space, nor our domains, nor the management of this machine.
The machine at empire.net is currently authoritative for in-addr zones for
other address space, and changing nameserver IP addresses previously has
not been problematic.

ARIN is now enforcing a policy of registering nameservers by IP address
instead of by name as Internic and other registeries do (and did prior to
ARIN).

ARIN says that the IP address of the nameserver 208.223.51.250 does not
belong to us (it belongs to Empire.net)--and therefore they can't put
through a change to our inverse map for address space that we are
coordinator of.  We only have one address for one colocated machine.  ARIN
says it (one IP address) must be SWIP'ed to us before the changes will be
allowed. ?!?

This hasn't been a problem until now apparently because ARIN never
previously enforced this policy.

So, does anyone else have a similar situation where nameservers are
colocated somewhere else?  I'm pretty sure this is the case, so this is a
heads up that you will have problems with updating IN-ADDR info.

What about this policy of ARIN's--Do people think ARIN should be
registering nameservers by name or by IP address?  To make this work in
general, one would need to SWIP single IP addresses.

		--Dean

           Plain Aviation, Inc                  dean at av8.com
           LAN/WAN/UNIX/NT/TCPIP          http://www.av8.com