identify hostname

Jonathan Mischo supertaz at mindspring.net
Fri Dec 4 00:28:09 UTC 1998

To add to this, it's very simple to identify smurf amplifiers.  All you
need to do is sequentially ping possible broadcast addresses within a
netblock.  If you wrote a threaded application, you could probably have a
complete list in a day or two on a modem connection.  If you think of how
many of these fools have a colo box on someone's network, you'd realize
that it would be fairly easy to compile such a list once a month, without
anyone noticing the traffic (assume 16 hosts/sec, 3 pings per second @
56 bytes, plus 8 bytes or ICMP header = 3072 bytes/sec)...there are very
few providers who are set up to track ICMP traffic density, and 3k of
traffic per second is not going to create a noticable bump on a 45-155 meg
interface.  The occasional amplifier that is hit will only create
increased traffic for the 3 pings recieved, which would easily be logged,
but would be too short to even produce a spike on most traffic graphs, or
trigger a traffic alarm.

just my $.02.

-Taz

Jonathan "Taz" Mischo -- Network Slave -- supertaz at mindspring.net
Mindspring Enterprises, Inc.  1430 W. Peachtree St. Suite 400
Atlanta, GA  30309   1.800.719.4664 x2705  404.287.0770 x2705
fax: 404.287.0885 pager: pagetaz at netops.mindspring.net M-F2-10pET