Effects of traffic shaping ICMP (&c.)

Alex P. Rudnev alex at Relcom.EU.net
Thu Dec 3 10:46:18 UTC 1998

I am not sure about traffic-shaping because this mechanism looks like an
evil's device, but it's good place to use CAR alghoritm for this.

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Mark R. Lindsey wrote:

> Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 15:57:08 -0500
> From: Mark R. Lindsey <mark at vielle.datasys.net>
> To: nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: Effects of traffic shaping ICMP (&c.)
>
> Howdy,
>
> When our network is being smurfed, we can call our ISPs and have them
> setup an access list to block ICMP. That fixes the problem, but it
> creates another (obvious) problem.
>
> Could traffic shaping, or similar QoS configurations, be used to solve
> such issues in a more general way? For example, if my source of packet
> flooding is ICMP, then I'd like to be able to dedicate as much as 1/10th
> (e.g.) of the bandwidth of each link to ICMP. That's plenty of ICMP, but
> it's not so much that an attack using ICMP would be effective.
>
> My question, stated briefly, is this: can you solve generic
> homogenous-packet-flood problems with QoS and/or traffic shaping (if the
> two can be truly distinguished), in general? If so, are current routers
> capable of doing it? What would be the effect of doing so on dialup
> links and backbones?
>
> ---
> Mark R. Lindsey, mark at datasys.net
> Internet Engineering, DSS Online LLC
> Voice: 912.241.0607x200, Fax: 912.241.0190 (US)

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)