Generation of traffic in "settled" peering arrangement

Karl Denninger karl at mcs.net
Wed Aug 26 15:55:43 UTC 1998

On Mon, Aug 24, 1998 at 10:13:43PM -0500, Tracy J. Snell wrote:

> (This message assumes Exodus will lose their peering arangement with BBN
> and I'll either not have routes to Exodus through BBN or they will be
> worse than they were before)
>
> My problem is we purchase transit from BBN. Why should I renew my
> contract with BBN when I can get better connectivity from someone else? If
> I stay with BBN how do explain why I did when their connectivity has been
> degraded? They'll start leaving me for providers with better connectivity.

That has been exactly my point.

You bought that transit expecting BBN to get you to the entire IP-connected
world where contiguous connectivity is *possible*.

Now BBN is saying "well, all except this one place, because we don't like
the cost of carrying the traffic you requested (but which you had assumed
you already paid them to carry)".

This is why anything other than open, unrestricted peering is bogus.

People say "well, you will just show up in one place and dump everything
there, effectively charging everyone else for your costs".

That's bogus as well, and here's why:

1.	You can't control quality on someone ELSE's infrastructure.  This
	drives you to install your own circuits to multiple points across
	the country, because the longer you hold onto the packets the better
	your ability to insure quality.

2.	By installing circuits you gain access to additional markets
	(cities).  This is a real, honest-to-God tangible benefit which
	offsets the cost.  It also allows entirely-on-net services to
	be sold which again, goes back to point (1) (QOS).

Bottom line: If you buy a transit connection, you're expecting TRANSIT.

If a backbone provider DELIBERATELY interferes with that transit by cutting
off people who refuse to pay for something they've already been compensated
for, and for a flow which their customers REQUESTED, the proper step for
their customers to take, IMHO, is to drop their contract into the nearest
paper shredder and send back the chips.

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV