Generation of traffic in "settled" peering arrangement

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Tue Aug 25 12:46:29 UTC 1998

John Curran wrote:

> It's difficult to "know" whether the distribution is actually
> working and resulting in interconnecti traffic which is local,
> but otherwise, yes.

Come on John, use your imagination.  There are creative ways one can use
things like cisco flow-stats to figure out how much traffic is traversing
your cross-country links.  As long as you too are doing closest exit routing
then it is possible to get some very good distribution of server load based
on the destination's location on your network.  I spoke about one possible
solution at NANOG 11, http://www.hilander.com/nanog11.  Of course, this
requires the web farms to actually deploy their huge clients using such a
content distribution scheme.

Alec