AOL spamming policy?!?

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at nacs.net
Tue Aug 18 22:30:07 UTC 1998

On Mon, Aug 17, 1998 at 11:18:06AM -0700, Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo wrote:
> I've gotten this same message now from four different AOL users today.
> Just wondering if anyone knows if this is just a group of people working
> together to fight spam, or if AOL is doing this, sending e-mail from their
> users without them knowing, or ... ???
>
> The original message then followed, and it turns out that I am getting
> the mail because the spammer is trying to fake their host name, but it is
> simple to look and see their real IP address and reverse DNS, so, no,
> noone is spamming from my domain. I guess nodomainname.com is a popular
> domain name if you have no domain name. But that's beside the point.

No, it's not. Spammers naturally want to hide their identity because
a lot of people dislike spam and a lot of ISP's nuke spamming accounts.

'nodomainname' doesn't sound to *me* like a domain name that's likely to
be used, and I'd bet the spammers might agree with me... which is why they
may be using it..

Basically, check your mail headers and complain to the ISP where the stuff
is originating from. Since they are forging your company's domain name, if
this is costing you a sufficient amount (in terms of time spent dealing
with complaints, load on your mail server, etc.) you may want to consider
suing.

--
Steve Sobol, Cartel Member #1489 (tinc)

Quote of the year: "If Bill [Gates] were tan, buffed and weighed 240 pounds, I
bet people would dig IS." - Michael Cohn, COMPUTERWORLD Magazine, 8/3/98.